Wednesday, May 7, 2014

MMMay Day Seven: Swimming along

I have made it a week into the challenge and still have items to go! Today is one of my favorites. It's the first skirt I made using the slash and spread method to get a nice, big sweep. The fabric was another find from the East Bay Depot (aka "Broken Things")--$2 for a wide yard of lightweight canvas.

 
This is one of the skirts I have to take in. The obstacle is that I made well placed slash pockets. You can't see it in the photo above, but one of the pockets has the tiniest bit of fish face visible. I am thinking that I will trim a tiny bit off each side of back panel and gather the waist just a bit only in the back to pull in the waist. At this point anything is better than holding it together with a safety pin.

OK, tonight's task is ironing muslin pieces so that they are ready to sew (possibly in the morning before I leave for work!).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your progress, Nicole! I've been following along every day ;-) I wonder if you could apply some elastic to the waistband for something between a safety pin and a permanent fix? I know sometimes I get overwhelmed with fixing existing projects and simpler fixes are preferable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever idea! I could open up the back waistband and put elastic along the back waist only. Maybe I will try it before the next SA meeting and report back!

      Delete